Tuesday, October 22, 2013

List Making That Leads to Inspired Learning


Yes, I do enjoy making lists, but lately I am tiring of them.  It's not just because I can't begin to scratch the surface of all the daily stuff I need to do, but also because I think the biggest thing I need to do doesn't lie in the making of lists: it's about listening and engaging and inspiring.  Deciding to listen and engage with my students and family is infinitely more likely to lead to their success and happiness than is my searching for the perfect guided reading segment or making sure every last PYP journal is read and commented on before I go home each day.  (That is not to say I don't do these things, too!)


I'm just saying that I contribute to my own joy and the joy of others in a much more meaningful way by actively engaging with them, rather than actively engaging with WHAT I have to do in order to be with them.  This evening, our seven year old daughter asked at dinner, "Is the environment or money more important?" prompting a great family discussion.  (This is a girl who is into BIG concepts and questions.  She's deep.  She's so deep, I had to go read the latest People magazine just to debrief!)  Then there is the joy of reading Little House in the Big Woods with Charlotte and Emily, and deciding that yes, maybe we could try to make a doll out of a cob of corn just like Laura had, but it might start to smell badly in a short while, but what the heck, let's do it anyway.


I started to make a long list of what I should do for tomorrow, which I will likely have to weed my way through, but I came up with a  list I like much better.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Goals For School Tomorrow:


  1. Be prepared for class.  (But of course.  I had to put that in or principals who read this might judge me.)
  2. Be spontaneous if it's going to lead to something learning-related and fun.
  3. Be kind.  To everyone.  Across the board.
  4. Listen to at least five kids read.
  5. Compliment at least 10 kids in my class on something specific and meaningful.
  6. Make my students laugh at least three times each hour.
"There is no try; there is only do."

Now there's a list that's a challenge, but I think I can manage!  


No comments:

Post a Comment