Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The THINK Acronym

This simple little acronym has been around for a while, though I've revised it a bit for IB purposes.

Before you speak: THINK

T   Is it true?

H   Is it helpful?

I   Does it promote inquiry?

N   Is it necessary?

K   Is it kind?

I've found it's quite helpful to introduce this acronym at the beginning of the year and post it in a prominent place in the classroom, reminding students when they stray from the Think Before You Speak agreement.  Sometimes I just have to point at the poster, a student will stop in mid-speech, and either steer their comment in a more positive direction or just say something to the effect of, "never mind."  For students who have a challenging time with impulse control, it can be helpful for them to have a laminated copy on their desks as well. Useful on the playground?  You bet!  I haven't seen it used in secondary schools, but I bet it would come in handy there as well.

At home with your own kids?  I haven't posted it yet, but I might just put it on the wall beside our dinner table.  Too bad there isn't an M for manners in the word THINK!









No comments:

Post a Comment